Monday, September 26, 2005

Irish back on track?

Notre Dame managed to bounce back from losing to then-unranked Michigan State in the Battle for the Megaphone by beating unranked Washington and former coach Ty Willingham on the road.

Huh. They won a game they were supposed to win. That has been pretty rare the last few years.
I watched part of the game, and the offense looked good. They threw the ball more than you expect to see from Notre Dame, but it's not the 3 yards in a cloud of dust Four Horsemen days anymore. I also wore my green jersey on Saturday and it felt pretty good. I think I need to get a navy one though.

Next up, the shilleglah games: at Purdue next week and USC in South Bend after a bye week. Well, at least the get Purdue on the road, where Notre Dame is undefeated so far this year, and welcome the Trojans. It would be better of course if they hadn't lost their only home game so far.

Even if they drop both these games, I would still be happy if they ran the table for the rest of the season and finished 8-3. On the other hand, if they win out including these two (and get some help in the form of losses by major teams at the top of the polls), there's hope of a Bowl Championship Series berth. Not that I think that's very likely.

And robin, of course I have hope; I was just trying to fool the football gods into thinking they can't possibly disappoint me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home