Friday, April 29, 2005

Daylight Savings Time

The General Assembly passed the bill to observe Daylight Savings Time.

So far I have refrained from joining the public debates about DST. But that's what this blog is for, right? So here goes.

I think Daylight Savings Time is one of the most idiotic policies of our time. The desire to join most of the rest of the country in observing DST is understandable as it creates confusion both inside and out of the state. However, I disagree with the entire concept and object on such grounds. The basic idea behind DST, unless I have a major fundamental misunderstanding, is to take an hour of daylight from the early morning and place it instead in the late evening. Okay, and...? This should save energy as many Americans would not be awake during the early morning daylight hour but would during the evening hour, removing an hour of electric light usage per day. Okay, sounds good, I guess, but why only during the summer? Why not just completely rework the time zones so that the sun just rises later all year? Beyond creating confusion and tardiness, I don't know.

But, as usual, it doesn't matter what I think, does it?

1 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

and my (limited) understanding was that it was especially important for farming purposes - 'more' daylight, more work done in a day. but these needs have decreased, I think, so what's the fuss all about?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home